The Lake District is an iconic walking destination for British hikers. With it’s combination of lofty peaks, including Scafell – England’s highest peak, and the idyllic tranquil waters it is named for, the Lake District is an unforgettably beautiful and magical destination for walkers of all ages.
Little legs and those taking a break from more strenuous routes can enjoy the many lakeside paths, many of which are suitable for all-terrain pushchairs. There are also gentle hill walks for young walkers starting out and of course some major mountain challenges for older families. For those walking with babies in backpacks in fair weather, there are also some accessible hill-top walks to take in a lofty view of the Lakes – you just need to be aware that as with hills anywhere, the weather can change fast even in summer and you need to be well-prepared for any eventuality and know when to call it a day.
Below you can find a selection of useful websites for planning your next walking adventure in the Lake District as well as some suggested Baby Routes walks. Thanks also to Catherine Redfern from London Hiker for contributing recommended Baby Route walks below for the Lake District – she also has plenty of inspiration for weekend escapes from London suitable for older walkers on her great website – http://londonhiker.com/ .
- Miles without Stiles – this is a fantastic resource for families walking with pushchairs or babies in backpacks, as well as those looking for less strenuous routes for little ones. These 42 routes across the Lake District are produced by the Lake District National Park authority with something for everyone and not a stile in sight!
- Go Lakes has some great walking route suggestions, including options for families, shorter walks for veyr young children and even one route which incorporates a ride on a steam train! There are also plenty of ideas for longer and more strenuous walks for older families and adults having a day out on the fells without the kids.
- Family Traveller ‘s article ’10 of the Best Buggy Walks in the Lake District’ offers ideas for scenic pushchair walks with some great photos to get you in the mood.
- Pushchair Ramblers have a good collection of walks put together by local parents in the North Lakes, Eden and Carlisle areas. Worth a look for some family friendly wandering, often with a coffee shop stop en route!
- Family Walks and Pubs in the Lake District is worth a visit too. Set up by a Lake District based family, it follows their walks in the area with lots of lovely ideas for family-friendly days in the fresh air.